Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Desserts in Denver

If you're in downtown Denver looking for some good dessert, here's where to go and what to get.

_LUCA D'ITALIA (on 7th and Grant in Capitol Hill): The only constants on the dessert menu are the almond cake and tiramisu. The pastry chef Angela changes up all the rest with the seasons. Right now, I'd say order the apple crostada with ginger gelato. Mmmm. I would get the ginger gelato alone, but the crostada smells delicious and has the mix of the crispy crust and soft apples inside. Otherwise, the orange/vanilla panna cotta is light, and it comes with pistachio toffee and brandied cherries. The cherries I could do without, but the toffee I liked better than I thought I would. Amanda at the bar will help you choose a good dessert wine. Each dessert is about $7

_CUCINA COLORE (on 3rd and St. Paul in Cherry Creek): Bread pudding. Bread pudding. Bread pudding. It's the sauce that makes it. Yes, tiramisu is on the menu, and it's fine, but just try the bread pudding. YUM! It's $6

_CREPES 'N CREPES (2816 E. Third Ave -- that's between Detroit and Fillmore --, Cherry Creek): This is a sweet little French place, with a charming French cook who will talk with you if you sit at the bar and watch him cook. I'd say go for the crepes with the strawberries, banana and Nutella. It's big, so two could share, but I have seen one small man devour a whole one. Prices vary, but two crepes and a wine are about a $21 bill, including tip.

_THE MARKET (Larimer Square, look for the blue and white awning, 1445 Larimer St.): Spring Fling. I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. It's this tall cake with tons of fruit layered on top including kiwi, grapes, strawberries, possibly peaches if I'm not mistaken. It is something like $6 a slice, just so you know.

If you're on the cheap and hankerin' for tiramisu, there's a Chinese restaurant on Broadway near Decade and all those shops by 1st, Bayaud, Ellsworth area. Sorry I can't be more precise, but I can't remember the name of the place or it's address. What can I do. Just look for the Chinese restaurant on the east side of the street that sells Hello Kitty gear, hardcore. For some reason that I haven't determined, they offer tiramisu on the menu for like $4. I'm pretty sure they don't make it there, but it's available.

***If you happen to be in Boulder, then my goodness, stop in to Sushi Tora @ 2014 10th Street, if not for sushi then at least for dessert. Take your pick from the dessert menu.

No comments: