Sunday, July 27, 2008

Telepathique interview, etc


From Brazil to Denva: Telepathique (Erico Theobaldo and Mylene Pires) plays at the Illegal Pete's downtown, on 16th and Wazee, 8/2. Get a fish taco and check it out. Telepathique released their debut album "Last Time on Earth" in South America in 2006, but now it's being released in to North America on 8/5, and Pacifico is putting them on stages in a couple cities in the US (Seattle, Denver, LA, Chicago). Perhaps you've already heard "Eu Gosto" on Pitchfork. Download Love and Lust.

We interviewed Erico and Mylene by e-mail before their show:

Q: What should we expect to see when you play in Denver at Illegal Pete's?

Érico- We are going to play the songs from the album "Last Time On Earth", some new songs and some versions. At some moments, our show can be more organic and at others it can be more like a DJ set. I really don't know how people will react to this but I'm excited to see.I hope they don't throw tacos at us!

Q: Both of you have made music on your own. How was it for you to work with a partner?

Érico- I'm used to work with partners on many projects. What I think is special in this collaboration with Mylene is that we are totally different from each other and both of us bring our own taste and style to the project. I do this because I really like the result of our collaboration and I love to hang out with Mylene. We always have a great time together - whether on tour or in the studio.

Mylene – What is great is that we are a band of 2 musicians only, and at some point of the concert you just see a singer and a drummer, it's something quite unusual for a rock band but we love to be like that. Also, working with him in the studio brings me freedom because he´s a very opened-mind person.

Q: What kind of music did you listen to growing up? What kind of music did your parents listen to?

Érico- I started listening to my father's old jazz records of artists like Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Thelonious and Miles. But by the time I was 12 I started to play drums with a punk rock band and at that time I was listening to everything from Heavy Metal to dub to Kraftwerk.

Mylene – I grew up listening to popular Brazilian songs from the 60´s, such as caetano veloso, chico buarque, because my parents used to adore them.. And I´ve been always very fan of radio stations, where I could find out such different styles! I have a very democratic taste, I´m very curious and I usually listen to bands and artists from everywhere. Concerning electronic music, Miss Kittin was really a surprise for me, mainly because I write songs and her lyrics are so special, a mix of post-modern and poetic way of saying things. After her, Peaches, indescribable…

Q: How would you describe your hometowns?

Érico- Sao Paulo is a big multicultural city. When I was a teenager I remember dealing with the question "what is the cultural identity of a guy from sao paulo like myself?" cause I felt so distant from the folklore from other Brazilian states and so close to the clubbing culture and hip hop culture, getting into things that was coming outside of my country. But soon I realized that being from sao paulo meant not to be afraid of integrate all those cultural influences.

Mylene – I'm from rio de janeiro, it´s very difficult to describe rio, because it has a lot of contradictions, so much kindness and violence between people, a blessed nature and a lot of pollution… But i´m so proud of being brazilian! All my music background came from this source.

Q: Are there any cities you would love to see on tour and why?

Érico - It will be my first time in the US and I'm excited to see every city we're booked to play (seriously!) I'm mostly looking forward to explore as many musical instrument stores as possible.

Mylene – me too!! I would love to tour Japan, also.

Q: What do you think about this trend of beer or liquor companies sponsoring bands' tours? How has it worked out for you?

Érico- We're at a moment where the music industry must reinvent how it does buisness. I think that sponsorships are becoming an important part of the new industry. Things are changing very quickly - and the industry must learn to change as well. We wouldn't have been able to do this tour without a sponsorship.

Mylene – I agree with Erico. We are coming from brazil and the cost of touring abroad is very high. Besides, I truly believe that drinking is a personal option. On the other hand, and facing the drama of music business nowadays, it´s, at least, good to have companies investing money in culture.

Q: What do you hope audiences get out of your music?


Érico- I just hope that the audience would not worry about trying to figure out what kind of music is this and just have fun and make the party go on

Mylene – enjoy the songs and have fun! Erico is also a cute guy...Girls, watch out!

Other random notes this week:
Ben Kronberg is back in Denver this Friday, 8/1, to perform at the Oriental Theatre, 8 p.m.

The Denver Post Underground Music Showcase is this weekend, 8/1-8/2. You can still get two-day passes to all the venues for $20. And the list of the top underground bands in Denver

No comments: