Monday, March 26, 2007

Fruition

I got to check out Fruition, the upscale neighborhood joint at 6th and Lafayette, and mmm, it was good. (Upscale as in fancy food and a wine crowd, "neighborhood joint" as in you can wear jeans -- you know, the nice pair, with a nice top). One of my friends who ate there a few weeks ago is convinced it will give some of the pricier fine dining places in town some firm competition, and I think so too. My dining buddy and I got out of there for $50 apiece and really full stomachs, plus a doggy bag, last weekend.

Chef Alex Seidel was once chef d’ cuisine at Sweet Basil in Vail and executive chef at Mizuna. People in kitchens in Denver credit Alex w/ making Mizuna what it was. He brings his rich, simple flavors over to Fruition, and dishes are more affordable here.

Last weekend, we started off with seared yellowfin tuna with white bean vinaigrette, which was lovely because I love raw tuna but even better was the braised rabbit chasseur w/ carmelized onions, grilled batard and mushroom pan jus. Spooned some of the rabbit stew onto the crispy bread. yum.

I got the crock pot veal cheeks (sooo tender) served w/ crispy fontina polenta. My friend got the duck breast served on top of carnoroli risotto w/ arugula, smoked duck prosciutto and red marmalade. I'm used to eating Peking duck, served cooked fully through, so I appreciated when our server James checked whether it was all right for the duck to be prepared medium rare (which it was, but James still gets points for asking). Excellent taste. That James, by the way. Hopefully I'm remembering his name right. He gave me a hard time for not ordering any wine or liquor w/ dinner and sent over an eensy teensy weensy tequila shot. ha!

My friend has eaten at Fruition before and says the vegetarian dish (it changes) is solid, and has tried the cider-brined pork shoulder confit w/ butternut squash gnocchi and recommends it. He says Alex also is very picky when it comes to selecting fish, so any of those dishes also are a good bet.

For dessert, we went w/ the banana pecan bread pudding w/ caramel sauce and rum raisin ice cream. My friend likes the bread pudding at Cucina Colore better (it's mighty fine) and would have preferred it be moister. I didn't mind that the top was more toasted and the bottom moist.

Fruition, after a rocky start w/ desserts, is now enjoying the services of the former pastry chef at Frasca in Boulder. She's tweaking the dessert menu she inherited. Alex says vanilla bean pudding is the most popular dessert. I wonder if The Denver Post review had anything to do with it.

The menu changes seasonally, so there will be more to try soon

IF you have eaten at Fruition, please leave a comment. I'm curious to hear what other people think

No comments: