Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Otto motive

Today, a most unlikely endorsement for an auto shop. Not unlikely for the shop, just for how the endorsement came about.
The shop is Tilden over on 11th and Speer in Denver. I went in for an oil change around 9 a.m. The car didn't get done til noon. And I'm still endorsing them.
See, what happened was they told the new guy to change the oil, but he ended up taking out the transmission filter instead of the oil filter and draining the tranny fluid, not the oil. The shop manager broke the news to me that I would have to wait for a new transmission filter to arrive, but since it was their mistake, I would basically get a new transmission filter and fluid replaced free. Fair enough. Only I was sitting in the shop for such a blasted long time, the manager decided to give me the oil change free as well. More time passed. When I glanced at the clock and saw the little hand pass 11 and the big hand pass 6, the manager apologized yet again and said he was embarrased. I said, "No problem, I've enjoyed spending my morning with you," (kind of in the same tone that I told the drummer of DeNunzio, "No problem, I'm sure it was hard seeing the warning light...in bright red letters" after he drove my car around town with the emergency brake still on). And what do you know, the Tilden manager threw in two more free oil changes. So three hours for an oil change, but I'm ending up with three free oil changes plus a free transmission fluid/filter change, and Tilden has itself a repeat customer.
So if you want an auto shop that actually cares about doing right by its customers, go to Tilden on 11th and Speer and make sure Marc is the manager taking care of you.

No comments: